Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A problem with Starbucks

Bryan Appleyard has an amusing post about irritating people who effectively set up office in Starbucks. (I like the punchline especially.) Can't say that I have ever witnessed this behaviour in Brisbane, but then I don't like Starbucks and rarely visit them.

As far as I can tell, most Australians think Starbucks coffee is not great. I am no great fan of the beverage, but I really like a medium size Very Vanilla Chiller from Gloria Jeans. The GJ franchise just seems a lot more relaxed and less pretentious than Starbucks, too.

2 comments:

TimT said...

I detest Starbucks.

Once I cheekily suggested to a little dude in a business suit that we'd got the drinks we ordered switched around, and he absolutely went off his nut! He started gesticulating wildly at his receipt, like he was trying to defend a real estate deal to his boss or something like that. Geeze, with little idiots like that in Starbucks, I hope they don't make any money at all.

Caz said...

I've only been to Starbucks once.

I don't know what they serve, but it's not "coffee".

Yuuurrrrk.

Tried Gloria Jeans once: could have used the coffee as garden fertilizer.