Monday, July 23, 2007

Pity the "Unnamed Family Member"

I stumbled across some Muslim blogs on the 'net today, and found this one: "A Muslim Wife". She lives in Florida, has not been married long, and wears the niqaab. I can't actually tell if she is an American convert to Islam, but given some of her expressions, I think that's likely.

She sounds a like a lively enough woman who really, really loves being a serious Muslim. From this post of a few months ago, she talks about how much she enjoys her friendship with the wife of one of her husbands friends:
I am especially fond of this couple; the brother is one of hubby's best friends and his new wife is also a niqaabi. It felt so good to be with someone - go out with someone, get ready with someone, talk with someone, walk with someone - who I can really relate to. Just the small things like knowing to talk in a whisper when the hubbies are around. Or when in public, to go out of our way so we don't have to walk near a man, or serving our husbands first, etc. Just all the little things that matter so much, that have become second nature to us, that are apparently FOREIGN to other sisters.
Hmm, yes I suppose wearing a niqaab in the stifling humidity of Florida is not enough to convince any man in the street that you are definitely off limits. You also have to go out of your way to cross the street to get away from them. Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

But, spare a thought for her relatives. This post caught my attention. Called "Private Conversations," she relates some snippets of conversation with a family member who (by the sounds of it) is not a Muslim at all (or is one who doesn't worry about what angels think of dogs):
Dog: bark! bark!
Me: "So we talked last time about your dog, I see you didn't get rid of it yet?"

Another Unnamed Family Member: "Nope, I didn't. I can't have him killed."
Dog: bark! bark! bark!
Me: "(laughing) No one said kill him, just get rid of him. Give him to a shelter or something."

Another Unnamed Family Member: "I can't (the baby) is so attached to him, he'll be sad."

Me: "Oh. Well you know the hadith I mentioned last time, about the angels not entering your home and the loss of mountains of good deeds for every day you keep him."

Another Unnamed Family Member: "(looking over my shoulder into the distance at anything more interesting than me) Mmm hmm. "

(followed by cold shoulder for the remaining of the week).
Oh dear. I say give the "Unnamed Family Member" a medal for keeping the response to "mmm hmm" and a cold shoulder for a week.

2 comments:

Caz said...

"Well you know the hadith I mentioned last time, about the angels not entering your home and the loss of mountains of good deeds for every day you keep him"

Heck Steve, that's a novel form of emotional blackmail, ya know?

None of the fluffy ineffective "I'll take your mobile phone off you for a week", or "I'm very disappointed in your behavior".

No siree!

This is the hard stuff.

It even sounds pretty and lyrical, with angels and mountains, but packs a whollop.

I think there's something we can all take away from that.

Steve said...

It's pretty funny, isn't it. I actually have a relative who is a Hare Krishna devotee, but he has never had a go at me for eating cows.

People who want to try to be even handed about this might point out that some Christians used to worry about witches cats being in league with the devil. However, the belief was a pure superstitious invention without Biblical foundation, and it is a matter of some embarrassment for modern Christians to think that it was ever given any credence by anyone in authority in the faith. In any event, the issue was put to rest several centuries ago. However, in Islam, there is quite the controversy still going on as to whether or not Muslims should avoid dogs because angels just can't stand them. Especially black ones; they are particularly evil, apparently.