Monday, August 11, 2008

Weekend thoughts

Olympics Opening Ceremony: I fell asleep sometime around the puppets making an appearance. The commentator said that this section had originally been intended to be much bigger, but it had been cut back. Pity really. With Gerry Anderson as an adviser they could have mounted a puppet re-enactment of some important ancient Chinese war, and probably kept me awake.

I woke up briefly to see athletes making an entrance. As this was predicted to take 2 hours, I went to bed, thinking I could catch the highlights in the morning.

Of course, being held only once every 4 years, I had forgotten that television rights to the Olympics are so closely guarded that if you miss the live broadcast, and perhaps one repeat on the network that secured the rights, you get to see absolutely nothing on the world's media the next day. (Well, I think I saw 10 seconds of the opening drums, and 3 seconds of someone on a harness lighting the torch.) Maybe I will never know what I missed out on.

Back to those massed drums. Whenever I see lots of young Chinese men, it reminds me of the forthcoming Testosterone Crisis (TM). China will either have significant unrest in 10 to 20 years because of its ridiculous gender imbalance, or supplant Great Britain and become the gayest nation on earth. Or possibly both.

Of course, this will also be around the time of the Carbon Wars (TM), but the internal unrest will make the taking out its coal plants much easier.

I think I have a future as a stupid futurist.

The Weather: Geez, after a mild July, August in Brisbane has been unusually cold. Sitting in evening air at Machinery Hill at the Ekka on Saturday was the coldest I have felt there for many a year. Further report on that outing due later today.

The Prime Minister: I don't think it's just my personal reaction here. After watching him swan around the Olympics, hanging out with sport stars and celebrities, and reporting on overheard conversations between important people he got to sit near, I feel confident that no one on either side of politics much likes Kevin Rudd at a personal level. For the Left he is, at best, the Prime Minister-we-had-to-have-to-get-the-Liberals-out-of-office. They forgave Keating's personality defects because he was their "big ideas" guy, and his invective amused them. That doesn't wash with Kevin.

He certainly comes across as kind of immature for a national leader, I reckon. I am very sceptical that poll approval numbers reflect genuine affection for him in the populace.

No comments: