Monday, October 27, 2008

More making money from dead bodies

Flayed babies' bodies included in new Body World exhibition - Telegraph

Weirdo Gunther von Hagens has a new exhibit of flayed plasticised bodies on exhibition, and he gets a heap of free publicity, but (as far as I can tell) nothing in the way of criticism.

I posted about this a couple of years ago, and still I seem to be the only person around who finds him and his work irredeemably ghoulish, and can't understand why, having done this once, there is still an entertainment market for weirdly posed skinless dead bodies.

van Hagens claims his exhibitions send "a health message". I find the claims of it being educational for the general public in any significant sense hard to believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it better if nobody talks about him? Don't get me wrong, I think he's ghastly, but I don't want him getting free publicity either.

Steve said...

Well, that was partly the point of my post - to complain about the fact that he gets a heap of free publicity in the UK media.

And my continuing puzzlement that people go to his shows, and that there are few voices out there saying that the very concept is pretty objectionable.