Sunday, November 16, 2008

Unusual photos of Japan

Here's some of the more unusual photos from my recent Japan trip:

First, the impressive giant playground robot:



I am not sure how many of these may exist in Japan; it looked a little old but not in bad condition. The only semi-equivalent thing I can remember from Australia was a cage like three level rocket ship which used to grace the kids playground at Toombul Shopping Town in the late 60's. This giant robot was in a rather out of the way location in Japan, which I am willing to divulge for the right amount of money to any eccentric reader who wants to use it when videotaping their own fan version of The Wicker Man.

Secondly, breaking my rule that it's too cheap to make fun of foreigners and their English spelling mistakes:



Next, a sign encouraging people to dispose of their cigarette butts carefully, because if you don't, it'll upset the sewer rats (as always,click to enlarge):


Another sign, this one hard to read in full, but it encourages good behaviour on the trains, with some fairly obvious suggestions (which may be paraphrased as "smoke spreads" and "don't sit with your legs too far apart"):


(I have a feeling that I have seen this series of posters blogged about somewhere else some time ago, but haven't gone looking yet.)

Finally, the hungry, hungry fish:


OK, not the funniest photo to finish with, but it's late, alright?

4 comments:

Mercurius Aulicus said...

The Japanese smoking warnings were mentioned, among other places, at http://cigarettesmokingblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-dont-care-if-you-burn.html

This article also has a link to the complete series.

Steve said...

Thanks MCB. There were lots of them made, weren't there.

Anonymous said...

steve: I am making a book of vintage playground equipment and saw your giant robot! I travel to japan alot with my wife she's from tokyo and we are going in august! could you please tell me where the robot is? what city and park?


Dan

Anonymous said...

you can contact me at aussiedoo@earthlink.net Dan