Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Death in (or near) the bedroom

Some months ago, before leaving on a holiday, I bought one of those automated insect spray machines (like this example, although the brand is different) that squirt a bit of spray in the air every so often. (You can vary the timing: I set it for about every 30 minutes.)

This is supposed to kill all hapless insects within a considerable range of the machine. I bought it for the walk-in robe that separates the bedroom and the ensuite toilet. Silverfish like it in there, and they were the main target.

One problem I have found with the device is that it makes a bit of a whirring sound every time it goes off. It seems to know when to do it to maximise surprise, such as the other night as I was passing through the robe to make a mid-morning visit to the toilet. I know I can turn the thing off at night, but never think to. Besides, insects are active at night.

The other thing is, given the small amount of stuff it squirts out, I have been very sceptical that it can possibly be effective, unless the bug happens to be within a very small radius of the device. In fact, I was going to do a post about my suspicions that, as a class of product, they might be a great con job. Had any consumer organisation actually tested their effectiveness? (I still haven't looked up that point.)

But then this morning, I found a large, dead cockroach in the ensuite. I assume the spray was the cause of death.

This is enough to make me keep using it, although I still feel I am being unscientific, and it continues to enjoy making me jump at quiet times when I am near it.

That's all I wanted to say.*

* This is officially rated "APoLC." (A Post of Little Consequence).

3 comments:

TimT said...

This is enough to make me keep using it, although I still feel I am being unscientific, and it continues to enjoy making me jump at quiet times when I am near it.

Maybe it's making you jump to conclusions?!??

I have a toilet that does this. All of a sudden, in the middle of the night, it will make strange breathing noises. I assume it's just flushing out its pipes or something, but, quite irrationally, I can't help thinking that somehow, someone has got into my little flat, and instead of ransacking things, is... using the toilet.

Either that, or the toilet has come alive and is coming to eat me.

Caz said...

That covers the squirty variety, but has anyone tried the non-squirt plug in type?

Only asking as I'm wondering if they kill flies or not. A reliable source tells me they're good at knocking off mozzies, but they haven't been able to establish the fly killing capabilities.

Is the squirty one supposed to kill flies & mozzies too?

Timmy: someone is breaking in to use your toilet. Don't ever buy any valuables. If you do, don't store then in the toilet.

E said...

Won't these devices merely build resistance to the chemicals they use?