Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Against the silence

It's pretty quiet around here lately. Sure, Tim still comments sometimes, but Geoff and Caz haven't for a while, and I don't know what's happened to MCB. I get the occasional new commenter, which I don't always respond to. Is that impolite? Maybe I should start replying to the spam comments that turn up. WOW Gold, indeed.

Just feels a bit like rattling around an empty house on a Sunday afternoon here sometimes. (I never got the hang of Sunday afternoons. They still strike me as unsatisfactory.)

5 comments:

TimT said...

Drum up an argument by doing a post saying everyone on Larvatus Prodeo are idiots.

Mercurius Aulicus said...

Sorry Steve,

I'm still around. Just haven't got anything to say.

Steve said...

MCB: what, not even the occasional "Brilliant post, old chap", or "haha, that really breaks me up"?

I must admit, apart from the general neediness for approval that a post such as this exhibits, I do find it particularly hard to tell (in the face of silence) whether anyone else finds attempts at humour funny.

I have also wondered lately whether I should split my stupid stuff into an entirely separate blog. One, for example, where I doodle about dodos all day without the concern that I am detracting from my serious posts by including unskilled brightly coloured drawings.

TimT said...

The trouble with doing humorous posts is if they do work, it's hard for commenters to come up with any adequate response at all, partly because there is usually a level of irony involved. If you enter into the spirit and provide a suitably ironic comment, then it won't be praise at all. If you do give the writer of the post unsolicited praise, then it sounds like you're either boosting the poster's ego, or you are becoming a toady. (Which is basically what has happened at mainstream blogs like Tim Blair.)

For what it's worth I really enjoyed (though didn't comment on) the giant robot statue post recently.

I wouldn't split up the serious and non-serious posts, it's much easier just to have one blog.

Steve said...

Tim, you say "toady" as if that's a bad thing. :)