Friday, October 30, 2009

Chick lives

Trick or Tract: Satan, Jack Chick, and Other Halloween Horrors

If ever you had something even vaguely to do with some fundamentalist Christians, you probably have seen a Jack Chick cartoon book. I know I saw a few when I was in high school, although exactly where I got my hands on one I can't recall.

According to the above post, in America, some people like to give these to visiting kids as a Halloween "trick or treat" gift!

There's a link in the article to the Jack Chick publication website, from which I learn he is still alive, and still producing his idiosyncratic booklets in which he manages to make his preferred brand of Christianity look like humourless, creepy conspiracy-mongering. (You ought to read what he thinks about Catholics; many lines are very funny.) As Joe Carter aptly says, Chick produces fundamentalist tracts with cartoon artwork in the style of R Crumb.

Amazing, but not in a good way.

1 comment:

TimT said...

Oh, them! There are weirdos all over the place who'll give them to you. Actually, at Polyester Books in Melbourne - a kind of alternative comic/magazine store - they sell them at the front counter. They're both really well crafted and bloody awful - this is a fair summing up:

Chick not only scared the hell out of me, he made me afraid that hell was all around me.

I think others are carrying on in the Chick tradition, since I've come across one or two ones with different artwork but essentially the same message. Scary.