Monday, January 18, 2010

A good weekend in Brisbane

In January, a good weekend in Brisbane can consist of the following:

* viewing Fantastic Mr Fox at the South Bank cinemas: this is a very enjoyable film, which I see to my surprise, seems to have made little money in the US. (This is becoming a disturbing theme in my assessment of animated films: I was very keen on The Tale of Despereaux and Astroboy, and both were box office duds.)

The Fox is quirky, and a lot of reviewers suspect adults will enjoy it more than children, but I can tell you my kids both found it laugh out loud funny, and "got" the quirk. It's interesting that it continues George Clooney's fondness for playing characters that aren't as smart as they think they are.

Go see it, with or without children.

* going to the Lifeline Bookfest at the Convention Centre. This has become a bit of an institution in Brisbane, now running for 8 days with well over a million second hand books for sale. You can spend a long, long time there, but even with visits limited by the lower attention span of children, I always manage to find something. (This year, I got the Graham Greene novels I recently said I wanted to read.)

One other observation: the Brisbane Convention Centre seems to me to be a particularly nice place, as far as convention centres go. Good location, lots of parking, lots of toilets, lots of headroom. I enjoy just about anything there.

* On Sunday, down to the Gold Coast for a swim followed by chicken and champagne* lunch.

Ocean water at the Gold Coast at the moment is at a very typical and comfortable summer temperature of 24 degrees. It was the subject of much discussion yesterday, with my Gold Coast residing relatives, how you only have to go about 40 km further south and the ocean water always seems distinctly colder, and much harder to enjoy getting into.

I am told it is all about the point at which a northern and southern ocean current meet, and a nephew suggested that it might also have something to do with Cape Byron being further east and trapping the north moving current nearer the shore. Certainly, the water at Ballina a few weeks ago felt very cold indeed.

For years I have been meaning to do some internet snooping to confirm this often observed sudden drop in temperatures off the Australian East coast, and one day I'll get around to it.

Meanwhile, I'll just take it as some sort of proof that God just especially loves Southern Queensland. (Except for those bits of Toowoomba, where He hasn't let it rain much for about 10 years.)

* Well, by "champagne", I mean $7 a bottle Jacob's Creek sparkling. My wife and I still think that it is the best of the sub $10 Australian champagne styles, and at that price in summer we tend to drink it a couple of times a week.

1 comment:

Richard_H said...

Steve,
If you think God loves Southen Qld, you haven't lived in Toowoomba!! 7 1/2 looong years of education there...

Much prefer Brisbane, except perhaps this time of year