Thursday, June 24, 2010

Half my wish fulfilled

Recently, I indicated that my depression over what looked like the coming appalling electoral choice between Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott would be resolved if Labor installed Gillard as Leader, and the Liberals went back toTurnbull.

Well, looks like half of my wish has come true.

Basically, Rudd suddenly imploded because he is a two-faced, control freak, vain, celebrity-seeking, boss-from-hell, media tart of a politician who was only installed as leader as a result of his smiley Sunrise appearances which gave Labor the feeling that he was just the right person to not scare the voters from blasting Howard out of the chair which he had unwisely decided to keep for one election too many. There always existed plenty of evidence for all of this; it is amazing that it took the public as long as it did to turn on him (and even now, that it has not turned as completely as it could,) but it is not really that surprising that Labor turned on him at the first possible opportunity.

Now, how am I to hope for Abbott to lose his position? The only way I see is for him to (literally) be caught with his pants down somewhere with someone other than his wife.* It's possible; I should never give up hope!

* Now that I think about it, I speculated once or twice on this blog during Rudd's puzzling rise to power that this was how he might come to grief too, but it was only with his ETS backflip that we all realised he had no testicles anyway. Maybe I'm just longing for another scandal as good as the Gareth Evans/ Cheryl Kernot one.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

Can I assume you think Abbott is a two-faced, control freak, vain, celebrity-seeking, boss-from-hell, media tart of a politician who was only installed as leader because he is a climate change denier?


I suspect Rudd is a prat but I'm not at all sure he is worse than other politicians. I think it odd that he has been done over for following some of the recommendations of a review of taxation and not blowing asylum seekers out of the water.

I reckon the factional leaders have even less balls then Rudd.

Steve said...

No, that's not a safe assumption. I intensely dislike Abbott as leader for a different set of reasons. (I've been pretty clear about that.)

I have also always said that Rudd had this peculiar thing whereby it seemed that the closer people (politicians, journalists, public servants, RAAF stewardesses) were to him, the less they liked him. It was very strange to me that the public ever gave him high approval ratings.

Abbott is, by all accounts, a my nicer person to be around, but he is still an opportunistic policy flake who now seems to be deciding policy on grounds like what's good for his daughters (overly generous parental leave, eg.)

Richard_H said...

Steve,
I think I can confidently say Malcom Turnbull won't be leader of the Parlimentary Liberal party anytime soon, and this is coming from someone who likes him! I've met him once or twice at LP functions and I was really impressed with his belief in small government, carbon pricing notwithstanding.

He has to learn to be a team player first though.

Abbott worries me for sure at times, (super baby bonuses and all that) but he was the right person to take on Rudd. Gillard, h'mmmn, good question.......