Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Victorian murder

As noted in Arts & Letters Daily, there's an amusing review in the Spectator of a book about Victorian England's cultural enthusiasm for murder as a virtual entertainment. It puts our current TV obsession with all things criminal and forensic into perspective. I liked this bit about journalism of that period:

Anyone who thinks the 21st-century tabloid represents some sort of journalistic nadir, for instance, will find this book a bracing corrective. On the contrary, we live, it turns out, in a hitherto unexampled golden age of truthfulness and integrity.

Even proper 19th-century newspapers seethed with class bigotry, and routinely printed rumour as fact without thought to prejudicing a trial. What are now called ‘backgrounders’ would report that the accused robbed corpses in battle, spent his childhood torturing dogs, or had ‘been known to twist a whipcord round a horse’s tongue, and tear it out by the root’.

If facts weren’t available, they’d be invented. The Morning Chronicle, Jackson’s Oxford Journal, John Bull and the Bristol Mercury all reported solemnly that Mary Ann Milner had ‘conducted herself with much composure’ at her execution. This stretched plausibility, considering she’d committed suicide in her cell the night before. Even the illustrations were, more often than not, stock images appended at random: the purported likeness of one murderer, it was pointed out, was actually a portrait of William IV.

In terms of modern journalism, I would say that the Times of India has not entirely shaken off the Victorian template. Detailed background of a death or crime (such as the family dispute that led to it) are frequently reported in a way that is not common in Australia now. Let's see if I can find a current example. Here we go: look at the amount of detail that goes into this (alleged) rape report. The accused getting a fair trial after such publicity seemingly is of no concern in the country.

3 comments:

Caz said...

Murder as entertainment never went away, and I'd drop the "virtual" from the description.

With glee, only the other day, the actor to play the worst serial killer (in Britain, or may the US, can't remember) was announced ... they are all SO excited to be making a film about a man who allegedly killed as many as a couple of hundred people.

The public loves this stuff too.

I don't find real crime entertaining, almost never watch or read. Isn't it bad enough that it happened, why recreate it for the entertainment of millions. It's debasing.

Steve said...

Caz, did you ever get around to reading In Cold Blood? I think you said you intended to when I mentioned it last year.

Generally, I am pretty uninterested in crime in fiction or TV. But then, there is very little on TV that I do feel prepared to "commit" to these days.

Caz said...

Wow, excellent memory Steve!

It's still in my pile, and have just pulled it out, to remind myself, right after I do Martin Amis (Experience), and Forester (Howard's End).

I make an exception for Capote, mostly because it was genre-changing, supposedly (and having not read it yet, I don't know how true that is), and because in my lifetime I've probably seen reference to the book - and it's brilliance, it's radical departure from the norm, to that time - a thousand or so times ... so yes, in order to be reasonably well read, I will read it.

And thanks for the reminder, helps my decision making, as I often procrastinate about "what to read next", with so many unread books on the shelf!