Friday, March 25, 2011

The vege burger

The New York Times reports that some chefs are coming up with vegetarian burgers that really are good.

I don't mind trying vegetarian products from the supermarket every now and then. It's sort of interesting to see how good they can make their fake meat products. My wife has started doing a curry with fake chicken from Malaysia or somewhere: it's not bad, and I had the fun the other night of telling my son he had been fooled into thinking it was meat.

I think I have even mentioned in this blog before that, when I was single, I used to sometimes make chilli con carne using chunk style textured vegetable protein. But the after effects were such that married life meant I had to give that up.

This story will horrify at least one reader, hey Jason.

3 comments:

TimT said...

Yes, beans really do live up to their reputation. The Baron is a vegetarian and though I'm not, I've learnt a lot about the... properties of certain foods as a result. (My diet is adaptable.)

We both dislike substitute food products by the way - I remember, for instance, trying out some fake-chicken pieces some time ago. Horrible and rubbery. I just don't see the point of imitation meat.

Steve said...

I just like the technological challenge of good imitation meat. :)

TimT said...

With Devon/Fritz/Polony/whateveryoucallitinqueensland, Australians seem to have invented an imitation meat made out of meat!