Thursday, August 16, 2012

Moving a big file

I had to try to get a large movie file to someone over the internet today.  It was just under a gigabyte, making it too large for email.

Googling the problem led me to We Transfer, which seems to work in a very simple fashion, letting files of up to 2 Gb be uploaded for free, and an email notification to go to a download page goes to the recipient.   The file remains there for 2 weeks.  

As usual, the upload took forever (about 4 hours!)  and I don't yet know if the file has been received at the other end, but it seemed to be working well enough for such a free service.

Update:  maybe I spoke too soon. The first attempt failed, but it was my fault for forgetting to change the power settings on the computer so that it didn't go to sleep mode just before the upload finished.  The second time, however, I saw that it got to within 14 minutes of finishing, then when I clicked back on the tab an  hour later, it said that Flash had crashed, and I never got an email telling me that the upload had succeeded.   I presume that under the National Broadband Network, this will be less of a problem....

No comments: