Thursday, January 24, 2013

A look at Hare Krishna

My years as a Hare Krishna

This is an interesting account of a woman who got into Hare Krishna but who has now moved away from it.  She's still sympathetic to the religion, though.

I note that she was obviously no stranger to recreational drug taking before she got into it.  I have a family member who is (last I heard) still in the religion, who came to it with some recreational drug experience (of a worrying degree, apparently.  I don't know the full details, though.)

I guess this is of no great surprise:  I tend to think anyone who tries anything more psychoactive than, say, marijuana, is showing signs of spiritual aimlessness which a strong communitarian religious practice like Hare Krishna is able to address.  (Gee, I still don't like using the word "spiritual".)  

Anyhow, one of the comments that follow the article is cruel, but funny:
I used to live over the back fence from a Hare Krisna house in Brisbane - 24 hour cycle chanting hare krisna, hare krisna, hare rama, rama rama etc. - so I got to know the words.
My take was it suited wimpy directionless people attracted to traditional conservative roles with an appearance of something special and different

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't remember if it was on through your blog that I read some link which showed that people who self identified as 'spiritual' have higher rates of mental illness than Christians or atheists. As a strong atheist, can;t say I'm surprised. I find 'spiritual' types more irritating somehow than people who are just conventionally religious.

jason

Steve said...

Yes, I read about that too, but didn't link to it. Like you, I would not be surprised if it turns out to be true.