Sunday, April 14, 2013

Not sure that they should always be listened to...


Critics back restoration of earthquake hit Christchurch Cathedral, photo by Searlo

Architects back restoration of earthquake-hit New Zealand cathedral

I see that there is a bit of fight going on as to what Christchurch should do regarding the restoration of its Anglican cathedral, which currently looks like this:
 




(My own photo of how it used to look, a year or so before the earthquake, is here.)

The proposals are basically either to rebuild it to look something like it used to, or to go with something completely different, like this:

Critics back restoration of earthquake hit Christchurch Cathedral

Call me an architectural heathen if you will, but I think that looks quite nice.  Here's how it is imagined to look inside:


I still can't see a problem.  It is, according to the Cathedral's website, where you can read more about the design, " a lightweight engineered timber structure reinterprets the gothic architectural tradition."

A timber cathedral in New Zealand seems quite reasonable to me.

No comments: