Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Anxiety rising in Abbott's office

I haven't seen it yet, but I take it that Tony Abbott got an aggressive interview with Chris Uhlmann last night.  I should watch it later today to see what I make of both of their performances.

Meantime, didn't I say last week that "new, improved Rudd", who I still say has taken lessons in apology from Peter Beattie, would be causing anxiety in Abbott's office?   With Newspoll showing it now 50/50, there is no doubt at all that I was right.

And all I can do from afar is laugh at people who comment and post at Catallaxy, who are stressing out about the Labor resurgence.  I share their puzzlement over Rudd's personal popularity (although, as I say, he is clearly performing cleverly at the moment and has learnt at least some political lessons over the last 3 years), but it's highly amusing when people from a site whose main unifying theme is "climate change is crap" start calling the Australian public idiots. 

2 comments:

John said...

I saw that interview Steve and Abbott demonstrated his rhetorical insufficiency. He couldn't answer the questions properly, kept repeating mantras, and obviously was struggling to clearly articulate his position.

I have made a wager for a bottle of Johnny Walker with my brother that Labor will win by 2 seats. He thinks Labor cannot win from here but would prefer that.

Steve said...

Interesting.

You know, I keep thinking now that apart from Rudd himself, the clearing of the ministerial decks may prove quite a good move at this time. I mean, with Parliament not sitting, none of them will come under scrutiny there, and it has given the opportunity to get rid of some who were clearly not selling well (Swan, Garrett, Conroy) and get in some fresh faces which seem to do doing OK so far (Ed Husic, for example.)

T